Sunday, April 10, 2005

2 New WIPs: Knitting and Welding

Sunday afternoon in a nutshell:

WIP #1: Knit swatch



Worked up a quick 1x1 rib gauge swatch on my trusty #7 dpns for an upcoming striped rib hat. I did this while watching 2 episodes of Coronation Street with Phideaux. He's really into British television, and CS is apparently one of the most-watched shows over there. Its basically a soap opera [episodic drama in industry parlance] but airs in the evening and has far better production values and writing than any American soap opera, at least from what we watched. I used to watch The Simpsons with my knitting before going to sleep, but since Fox 11 moved it from 11 pm to 11:30, [past my bedtime] I think I'll get Phideaux to lend me some CS dvd's to knit with before retiring. The episodes are only about 20 minutes each, which is just about how long I can stay awake and focused enough to knit before I have to turn out the light.


WIP #2: Patio Table Base

I got started on a glass-top steel patio table base that's been kicking around in my brain for about a week:



Now that we're having glorious spring weather I want someplace to sit outside and have my morning coffee; its the perfect excuse to get out the welder and whip up a nice patio set.


I already have a round glass table top that I scavenged off the sidewalk in Echo Park one day last winter.




I just need to add three more pieces of rebar sticking up from the tube to hold the glass, then have it sandblasted and paint it.

And yep, thats all free steel scrap from the jobsite. It doesn't get much better than that. Wait, yes it does. Selling the furniture I make from the free steel scrap would be better. Stay tuned for details . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home