Saturday, April 23, 2005

Thrift Store Score

Lately, I have taken to stopping by my local St. Vincent de Paul thrift store on my way home from work on Thursday or Friday afternoons. I have those afternoons off under the present arrangement, and since work is a pressure cooker these days, its a fun little treat.

I think I have a similar relationship to my local St. Vincent's that some people have to Wal Mart. I'm talking about the people who don't like Wal Mart because they tend to drive smaller businesses out of business, but shop there anyway because they like the low prices. I don't personally have a problem with Wal Mart, being the lover of Capitalism that I am, but I do have a bit of a moral conflict with supporting the Papal [Evil] Empire. I'm not really sure that by shopping there I'm supporting the Evil Empire, but its hard to imagine that with a name starting with 'Saint' there isn't some kind of support going to Rome, even if indirectly.

This week, there was some good picking, even knitting related picking - read on!

First off, I found these cool oval restaurant china plates. They will be my new everyday dishes. [As if there were some other expensive dishes hiding in the cupboard for special occasions - HA!]


Oval Plates - They are big and heavy



Marked on the bottom - Tepco China


Also in the china dept., there were two cute round dinner plates to add to my fledgling cute round dinner plate collection. Both had a wheat motif, which reminds me of Grandma and Grandpa Dersch's fine china.



Cute Wheat Plate #1


Cute Wheat Plate #2


And finally, there was yarn! I've never noticed yarn there before, but they had some interesting stuff. The only thing that I liked and was of sufficient quantity to make anything with, was this:



1 oz. each of Unger Fantasia, 100% wool, made in Italy.



I saw it and thought it would make a cool 1x1 rib hat on #1 or #0 needles.

I don't usually just buy yarn on the spur of the moment, and I don't really have a stash of yarn to speak of. Since I learned to knit, it has been pretty much just buying yarn on a project-by-project basis. [o.k., except for a few balls of sugar n cream that I got on sale because I couldn't resist the colors.] I'm a little concerned about this purchase, because I feel like I have crossed some kind of line here, and I fear for the future of my closet space.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss said...

ive picked up some killer deals at the thrift store by looking for yarn! although, you have to be careful that its not rotten or to old. ive found some that was from the 60's. i bought it just because the packaging was retro and fun, but i dont think i will be using it.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home